The Wingnut Series – Obamacare
Steve King actually spoke the words illustrated above.
“If there is a price to be paid for this, we will recover from a government shutdown, whether it’s a day, a week or two weeks … something will get resolved, we’ll recover from that as a country,” said Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa). “It’s a temporary inconvenience for a lot of people. But if Obamacare is ever implemented, we will never recover from that as a nation. We can never be a free people again.“
Providing affordable health care for millions of their fellow Americans – thereby preventing the needless death of thousands each year – is, in the minds of these heartless delusional bastards, a loss of freedom. Freedoms which, you are told, can never be recovered.
As for those temporary inconveniences, here’s what a government shutdown entails:
- 368 National Park Service sites closed
- 700,000 federal employees sent home
- passport offices shut down and visas will not be processed
- members of the military will remain on duty but will not receive a salary
- veteran’s checks will, at best, be delayed
- federal loans for small business and home purchases won’t be happening
- …and a whole lot more
There is one small effect of a government shutdown that might get the crazies to reconsider their act of
madness extortion…because if anything can get wingers’ heads to explode in unison, it’s the knowledge that a shutdown would mean that…
- gun permits will not be issued.
The John Boehner, Steve King and James Inhofe source photographs are Creative Commons licensed images from photographer Gage Skidmore.