George W. Bush – The Bestest President Ever!
The ridiculous Jennifer Rubin takes a shot at cleaning up the Bush record – “Unlike Obama’s tenure, there was no successful attack on the homeland after 9/11.” Steve Benin counters.
I’m not sure Republican pundits have fully thought through the wisdom of the “other than 9/11″ argument.Bush received an intelligence briefing on Aug. 6, 2001, at which he was handed a memo with an important headline: “Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S.”
Bush, however, was on a month-long vacation at the time. He heard the briefer out and replied, “All right. You’ve covered your ass, now.” A month later, al Qaeda killed 3,000 people.
For Rubin and Bolling, the response is, in effect, “Yeah, but other than that, he kept us safe.” The problem, of course, is that’s roughly the equivalent of saying other than that iceberg, the Titanic had a pleasant voyage. Other than that one time, Pompeii didn’t have to worry about the nearby volcano. Other than Booth, Lincoln enjoyed his evening at Ford’s Theater.
And, other than…
- the handling of Katrina
- Dick Cheney
- the selling of an illegal war that killed over 4500 American soldiers and injured tens of thousands of others
- Abu Ghraib and the government sanctioning of torture
- the collapse of the housing market
- doubling the national debt
- the loss of 2 million jobs
- 1001 stupid statements from a man with the intellectual curiosity of a carrot. (“I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.”)
- the loss of respect and moral authority from just about every nation in the world
…yep, other than that, the Bush presidency was the bestest ever!